Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Albino deer of Boulder Junction


Boulder Junction, Wisconsin is home to Wisconsin’s largest herd of albino deer.

The albino deer herd of Boulder Junction is one of Wisconsin’s great natural treasures.  Sometimes referred to as white deer or ghost deer, these white-tailed deer are true albinos, exhibiting pure white coats as well as pink noses, ears and hooves.

For more shots of Boulder Junction’s albino deer, visit Life in the Northwoods.

Seeing one of Boulder Junction’s albino deer is an unforgettable experience. During the spring, summer and fall, the bright coloration of these white deer makes them easy to spot among the forest foliage. During the winter, the coloring of albino deer blends in with the snowy surroundings, making them appear as ghosts moving across the landscape.





photos from: boulderjuction.org 

I have always wanted to see an albino whitetail deer but sadly I never have. I have heard that they have been sighted in my area once in awhile. The closest I came to seeing one was not quite an albino but what they call a piebald, part white and part brown/gray.

8 comments:

  1. Dad and I saw one during one of my first years hunting with him. They look so strange out in the wild, almost like a big goat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a doe on our place for a few years that was white below the knees and hocks all the way around. I called her "Socks." There's still an occasional white foot that shows up now and then, so I guess her genes are still in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True albinos always have pink eyes. These would be considered white (much more common), but not albinos. All in all still pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a white one here until someone shot it. It started out brown - they say that there's a disease some get- and it slowly turned white. It's fawns were normal colored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always some mug that has to shoot it because it is special. The mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never seen a white deer but I may have gotten a piebald on one of my trail cameras a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin, they do look a little strange but very pretty.

    Gorges, sounds like her genes are still there like you tink.

    MuddyValley, thanks for stopping by.

    Le Loup, I think they are special as well and that is why I would not shoot them.

    Martie, pretty cool aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, I think I might have heard something about that.

    ReplyDelete